Relief teaching in sn
hmm.... let's see... first thing you need to know, I taught 4 sec 4 pure chem classes and 1 sec 4 combine science (chem) class. so, teaching sec 4 to me is a stress, the fact that they are taking their O levels this year tells me to make sure that I teach well.
so, some observations... though in the same school, the students actually vary quite obviously from class to class (according to the standard of the class)... something that after 8 years in sn as a student, I did not know. the triple science class is really FAST in terms of understanding, they are quite and pays attention in class... they are really the group whom the teachers dun need to worry about. the double pure class students are generally more... active (!?), they talk more, observes the school rules less... but they know when to pay attention when the time calls for it... and generally, they need a little bit more detailed explaining to be done in order for them to understand... they will need more push from the teachers, more pressure to be placed upon them for them to do their work. the combine class actually gave me quite a bad shock when I first entered the class... it's actually two classes combined into one and the students include retainees... first of all... they couldn't be bothered with greeting me.... couldn't be bothered with sitting in their places... couldn't be bothered to keep the poker cards on their tables... a large no. told me that they forgot to bring their textbooks, duhn have their worksheets... I dun know if it is right to say this... but the general feeling that they gave me is that many of them have already given up upon themselves and couldn't care a damn... but the second lesson with them was much better... most of the class (except for some hardcore die-hards) listened... they were slower in their understanding abilities but if you explain to them slowly and clearly, they are willing to learn. seeing this difference in SN alone make me wonder what is the standard of students in the less 'good' schoola... pple taking normal courses... what kind of schooling life are they experiencing?
on the overall... I felt the feeling of love in sn... the way the girls were concerned about their teacher's health... the way they accepted me and listen to what I have to tell them about the topic (metals)... the way the teachers asked me how was my teaching experience so far, the way they answered my questions on the topic, the way Mrs. Soh asked me if her combine science class bullied me... something that I feel that I have not really felt so strongly in 2 years since I left sn...
then, it brought back fond memories of being in sn... going to school at 7.10am (for 7.25), going to the field for morning assembly, saying the lord's prayer, praying for teachers who are not feeling well that day, greeting all the teachers, saying 'good morning' to each other... the familar nagging of Mrs. Chong... the normal routine of telling the whole sec 4 level that they are the worst disciplined level in the year (oops)...
SN girls are warm, they are generally very sweet, very kind hearted and very understanding... though I must say that the girl now have really horrible attire (open collars, short skirts... almost no socks-ankle socks)... but they are really nice pple at the end of the day... an attribute of the SN girl - LOVE is still as strong as ever. SN ROX~
on the overall... though short, I must say that it've been a most enjoyable experience... learnt alot things, made alot of frineds... eh... and hor... it's 260 bucks richer (-_-''') no lar..... emotionally, I'm richer too... and being a teacher for a mere 4 days have tauhgt me to appreciate our teachers better.
today
something incredible hap today.... this is my last day in SN as a relief teacher... then immediately after my final lesson of the day, I recieved a phone call from Minami san from JAC... I have registered with JAC (a japanese job agency) and she has a job offer with Nikon as an assistant to the director of the firm... tuned it down because I'm going to England in 2 weeks time. Minami san was really sweet, she was saying about how good it is to be able to go to enland to study and wished me all the best in my studies... she even told me to contact her if I need a job after my trip to england.
then, later in the afternoon, the only tuition agency that I registered with called to offer a tuition assignment in serangoon north... for sec 3 e maths... turned it down too 'casue of england trip.
then, at 6+, IBN (Institute of Bioengineering and Nanotechnology) called to ask me to go for an interview with them... told her that I have to leave for england and will be back only after 27th feb... she's okie with it and still asked me to go for the interview. so, I've got an interview on tuesday with IBN...
isn't this incredible? one job offer after another..... AND... the NTU professor for bioengineering also contacted me to tell me that I can make an attachment in this research institute.... felt so wanted and sought after all of a sudden...
No comments:
Post a Comment